Briefs: RCA announces award winners
The Radio Club of America announced its 2012 award winners during its recent banquet in New York City. They are:
- Jack Poppele Broadcast Award: Andrew A. Conte
- Ralph Batcher Award: Michael Adams
- Alfred H. Grebe Award: Charles "Chuck" Soulliard
- President's Award: Carole Perry (WB2MGP)
- Barry Goldwater Amateur Radio Award: William Tynan (W3XO)
- Special Recognition Award: Sandra L. Black
- Special Service Award: Gordon West (WB6NOA)
- Richard DeMello Award (presented by NPSTC): David Buchanan
- 2012 Fellows Class: Paul Gilbert (KE5ZW),George Jackson, Gregg Riddle, Ladimer Nagurney (WA3EEC) and Glenn Bischoff (publisher and editor-in-chief of Urgent Communications magazine)
GTX develops tracking device
GTX Corp. announced that it has developed a custom GPS tracking device for cargo airlines Airnet and Cargolux. The compact and lightweight device — about the size of a garage-door opener — is inserted into the package and transmits the latitude and longitude, speed, bearing, altitude and temperature of the plane or vehicle carrying the shipment. The device is targeted for time-sensitive shipments, particularly those in the life-sciences industry — transportation of organs, blood, tissue, medications, clinical trial samples and medical devices — the company said.
Partnership to give students safe transport options
The CBORD Group and Creative Mobile Technologies announced a partnership in which the former will integrate its campus ID-card technology with the latter's in-taxi payment and entertainment platform. The partnership will enable students at Emerson College and Suffolk University in Boston to pay for taxi rides using their campus IDs. This functionality will "encourage safe travel any time of day," said John Silveria, Suffolk's assistant dean of students, in a statement.